Become a champion and make your next draft the best script it can be!
Film Writer invites you to the second season of its Tournament, open to film & TV scripts of all genres. Each entry is evaluated for its own merits and the highest ranked scripts advance to the next round.
Your entry receives valuable analysis and feedback from an experienced screenwriter and filmmaker with vast understanding of Hollywood and International cinema & TV.
In the first round, Film Writer reads and evaluates the first 10 pages of every script. The score depends on the quality of the writing and the motivation it generates to keep reading. The entries that cross a scoring threshold (determined by the quantity and quality of entries) advance to the semifinals.
In the second round, Film Writer reads and evaluates the next 10 pages of every semifinalist script. The score again reflects the quality of the writing and the enticement it generates to discover what happens beyond page 20.
Up to five scripts with the highest scores for their first 20 pages advance to the finals, where Film Writer reads and evaluates the whole text. The final score reflects the quality as well as the satisfaction and entertainment value generated by each complete script.
The script with the highest score rises as the champion!
You can also order Film Writer's base service for your feature screenplay or TV script. This entails proofreading the full script for errors in spelling, grammar, formatting and consistency, as well as providing analysis with at least two pages of notes that highlight strengths, needs and suggestions for development and improvement. Please allow 10 business days after your entry date to receive your proofread script and development notes.
FilmFreeway Gold members receive discounts on entry fee and base service package.
VPF Sponsorship: Every entry will be awarded at least one Pitch! VPF is a platform for TV/Film professionals seeking scripts and writers to represent. With VPF, writers can submit Written Pitches to 500+ networks/studios, producers and agents with the assurance of a guaranteed response.
Awards & Benefits
The champion wins a 100% discount voucher for Film Writer’s base service (priced at $200 USD) that can be used for the tournament entry, a newer draft or even a different script written by the same author, as well as a $50 USD gift card for screenwriting software or books (from a specialized online store).
The champion also wins 10 Pitches on VPF. All other finalists win 5 Pitches. Semifinalists get 2 Pitches and all other entries receive 1 Pitch. VPF awards all Pitches after the end of the Tournament.
Champion & finalists receive at least one page of notes assessing the whole script. They also receive digital award certificates.
Every entry receives several lines of feedback for the first 10 pages of the script, highlighting both the strong points and the elements that would benefit from further development, including specific suggestions. Film Writer sends you these notes a few weeks after your entry date.
The new Alternative Scripts category competes along the film and TV scripts. The best entry in the category secures a finalist spot and will be awarded the Adaptation Prize (Film Writer will create a film screenplay version of the entry's first 10 pages).
Champion and finalists will be announced and promoted on Film Writer’s blog, website and social media. Publications may include a brief text highlighting the strengths and merits of the champion script.
* Please note that all of Film Writer’s discount vouchers are single-use, non-transferable, non-cumulative and will have an expiry date. They have no cash value and cannot be traded or sold.
“What a terrific opportunity it was to win Film Writer Tournament. First of all, the critique of my script submission CARNIVORES was spot on and I immediately incorporated many of the suggestions into the screenplay. I'm sure most aspiring screenwriters would agree that the most important reward for submitting work to competitions is the chance to receive intelligent and experienced feedback. The Film Writer Tournament has provided that times ten.”
‒ Grace Merrill, 2022 champion
Rules & Terms
1. The Film Writer Tournament is open to all writers, 18 years of age or older. Void where prohibited by law.
2. Entries must be written in English.
3. Film Writer will not accept entries or entry fees by email or in any other way outside of FilmFreeway.
4. Any entrant with a prior working or networking relationship with Film Writer or Pilgrim Falcon Productions will not be able to advance beyond the first round. (Considered by entry date.)
5. The champion script from the previous year(s) cannot be submitted again.
6. Any other scripts submitted to previous editions of the competition may enter only if they have been revised or rewritten substantially.
7. Scripts that have been edited or rewritten by Film Writer cannot enter the competition.
8. Scripts can be for short films, feature films or TV pilots. The accepted page count is from 30 to 120 pages (45 to 125 when purchasing the base service). Please enter full scripts and use standard format. Partial or unfinished scripts will not be able to advance to the final round.
8A. For the new Alternative Scripts category, the entries should be full scripts in standard format for the intended medium (Stage, Audio Drama, Web Series, Comic Book and Video Game). The accepted page count is from 30 to 100 pages. If your episodic scripts are under 30 pages, please submit two or three consecutive episodes in a single PDF file without exceeding 100 pages total.
9. The original entry will be used for the entire tournament. There will be no substitutions, corrections or updated drafts allowed during the competition.
10. An entrant may enter more than one script, but duplicates (even if different drafts) are not allowed and only one version will be considered.
11. The script and the story must be the original work of the entrant. The characters must also be original or be considered from the “public domain” (in general terms, works with expired copyright, published before 1927).
12. The author must have the necessary rights and permission to portray real events, places, brands and people. If not, please fictionalize those elements.
13. The use of any copyrighted character from existing films, shows, books or any other medium will disqualify the entry (unless the entrant created them).
14. The entrant is solely responsible for any liability affecting the entry and its content.
15. The non-critical portrayal of extreme violence, hate or pornography will disqualify the entry.
16. Scripts already produced or sold do not qualify for entry. Optioned scripts may enter.
17. Disqualified entries will not receive complimentary notes or discount vouchers and will not be refunded.
18. If you withdraw your script from the competition, you forfeit the feedback and any other rewards or privileges.
19. A script may have co-writers, but only one person’s name will be considered as the official entrant for discount vouchers and redeemable prizes.
20. The script may include a cover page with title and author’s name (optional). No other personal information is necessary.
21. Entrants that advance to second round or better agree to the publication of their names and script titles. The winner also agrees to the publication of a short review of the winning entry.
22. Film Writer will not upload or share any script, fully or partially. At the end of the competition, Film Writer will erase all entries.
23. Although not required, it is recommended to register your scripts at the copyright office or writers guild before submitting to this competition (or elsewhere). Go to Resources for more information.
24. Please notice that Film Writer has no interest or need in copying ideas, plots or characters. You acknowledge that any perceived similarity of an entry with current or future projects by Film Writer, its clients or related companies is purely coincidental and inconsequent.
25. The evaluation method by Film Writer strives for objectivity, but total scores still depend on subjectivity (as in any other writing contest). All decisions are final.
26. Entry fees will not be waived or refunded under any circumstance.
27. Any situation not covered by these rules will be resolved unilaterally and irrevocably by Film Writer.